Wednesday

Houston, we have lift off...

... Yes, we have lift off! And a problem.

In my previous post about my fair test on rocket I was fairly disappointed with its rate of growth. Things have certainly changed within one week! Though the results are a confronting for a few reasons.

The mainstream is almost three times as big as the organic. The control is doing fairly well considering all I give it is water. Sadly, the organic is looking quite small and undeveloped.

It has really made me think about the demands we make upon the earth. Perhaps rocket should be growing at the pace and rate of the organic plant? I don't have an agriculture background so I am oblivious to what should be happening. This process has made me realise just how uneducated I am about how my food is grown, but it's also challenged me to find out more.

Also, while I've always known that the appearance and size of produce is not a measure of its nutritional value or natural health, the fact that organic can look quite underwhelming for what you are paying really hit home.. I believe that is one of the key reasons mainstream farming methods are preferred over organic and continue to be supported by the majority of food buyers.

I can really see how this would be a valuable inquiry experience for my future students - they will be the ones who will determine the future of food sustainability. Surely, education is one of the most powerful keys to finding a solution to this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment