Monday

Discovering chives, nasturtiums and wild strawberries

Since our presentation last week I have made a number of lovely discoveries!

I spent some time in my backyard yesterday afternoon pruning and clearing and cultivating the produce in our vege boxes. I was busy planting some of the organic beans and cherry tomatoes (the same ones we handed out at our presentation) when I came across chives and wild strawberries.

Well, I initially thought that the chives was grass (whoops!) and that the wild strawbs were weeds (double whoops!). I realised that the chives couldn't possibly be grass with the roots they had (and they smelled quite strong) and my husband came to the rescue of the wild strawbs.

And while he was helping me identify the strawbs, he introduced me to nasturtiums, which to my surprise, he informed me, are edible!  

So we ate some nasturtiums from our garden, while I cleared some space for our chives and staked our wild strawbs with the hopes that they'll produce fruit. 


I also had to lengthen the supporting trellis for my organic pea as it had grown too tall for the original trellis! Very excited to see that growth. I'm going to have conniptions when they start to flower and pea pods spring up!

I'm also so very glad that my personal connections with this project are continuing beyond the life of our assessment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment